The History of Bushell House

history of bushell house residential care home            Bushell House side garden

 

The History of Bushell HouseBushell House has been running as a Charitable Trust to care for the elderly since 1743.  Although originally founded by Dr William Bushell to provide support for local people it now takes people from all over the country, so they can be closer to their own families who live in the area.

The original house was built in about 1722 replacing a building already on the site.

In 1810 a wing was added to the east and west ends and additional outbuildings were built.

In 1843, a large addition was erected on the west side of the building and to commemorate this, an Obelisk was set up in the garden which is still there today.

In 1899 the inside was practically gutted and another wing was added on the east side.  The original front was found to be in a bad state of repair and was rebuilt.  More recently, the central heating was renewed, a lift installed for access to each floor and all of the rooms are now en-suite.

Now well into its third century Bushell House is still providing a real home for elderly people.